“When winter ends our bodies are ready for a cleanse. Luckily, spring arrives! Spring brings mineral-rich vegetables helpful for detoxing. Nature does know best! Here are seventeen of my favorite foods that you can easily include in your spring cleansing menu.
- Easy to digest
- High water content
- High fiber content
- Nourish cleansing systems or organs
- Full of antioxidants
- Full of anti-inflammatories
1. Lemons are the detox fruit, containing lots of vitamin C which helps convert toxins into a water-soluble form that’s easily flushed away.
- Your liver is your largest cleansing organ, and it loves lemons!
- They are the most alkaline forming food.
- Main ingredient of Master Cleanse (Lemonade Diet).
2. Spinachis rich in Anti-Cancer and Anti-inflammatory antioxidants.
- Good source omega 3 fatty acids.
- Alkalizes the body.
3. Radishes: The sulfurous mustard oil in radishes stimulates the circulation system as well as the liver and kidneys to help with a detox.
- Great for the skin because of high sulfur, silicon and vitamin C content.
- A good source of fibre.
4. Pineapple helps cleanse and tone the pores in your lungs, which directly affect the elasticity of your lung sacs.
- Contains the enzyme bromelin, which helps expel intestinal worms from your lung pores.
- The bromelain is great for digestion.
5. Artichokes are wonderful food for the liver and the gallbladder.
- They help detox harmful chemicals.
- Lowers high blood pressure.
6. Nettles are a super detox food that strengthens the liver, adrenal glands and kidneys.
- Rich in minerals
- Can ease seasonal allergy symptoms
- The stinging parts are destroyed during cooking.
7. Green tea helps flush toxins out of the system with antioxidant catechins, which increase liver function.
- Is full of polyphenols which produce extra heat in the body and burn calories so you can lose weight.
8. Green Peascan be digested easily and eliminated efficiently.
- Provide useful vegan protein to substitute for heavier proteins.
- Rich in anti-oxidents including flavinoids, carotenoids, phenolic acids and polyphenols
9. Fresh coriander leaves have been clinically proven to remove mercury.
This healing herb:
- Lowers blood sugar.
- Lowers bad cholesterol.
- Improves eye health.
10. Celery has anti-cancer compounds.
- Active phthalides relax artery walls to reduce blood pressure.
- Is a negative calorie food.
- The high fiber assists colon cleansing and weight loss.
- proven to protect liver cells from the damaging effects of alcohol and other toxins.
- Are a good source of easy to digest protein
11. Sesame seeds
- are full of amino acids called methionine and tryptophan, which helps the liver and kidneys to function and detox effectively.
12. Turmericis a powerful antioxidant that increases anti-inflammatory enzymes in the liver.
- Turmeric powder has powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
- Improves Phase II liver detoxification. Reduced Phase II detoxification is associated with environmental sensitivities, fibromyalgia and CFS.
- Helps detoxify the blood.
- High content of vitamin C and sulphur in cabbage removes toxins.
- Helps keep blood pressure low because of its high potassium content by opening up blood vessels.
13. Cabbage activates detoxifying enzymes in the liver.
14. Dandelions are a powerful food to detox the liver.
- Coming soon to a lawn or a garden near you! Dandelion roots and leaves feed the liver and help assist cleansing.
- Stimulates the digestive juices, helping the digestion of fats.
- Contains 48 substances that support your body to detox naturally.
- Dandelion greens are best in the spring before they get too bitter in the summer.
15. Citrus Fruits are high vitamin C needed to make glutathione which feeds liver.
- Reduces mucous.
- High amounts of pectin which is good for cleansing.
16. Asparagushelps cleanse the kidneys, and reduce water retention.
- Contains inulin which promotes the growth and activity of friendly bacteria in the intestines making it difficult for unfriendly bacteria to grow.
- Food highest in glutathione, an important anti-carcinogen.
17. Garlic: Antibacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-cancer, garlic can clearly be named a powerfood.
- Garlic contains specific antioxidants and substances that play an important role in natural detoxification.
Also: Raw veggies are highly alkalizing and high in fiber, which helps cleanse the colon. Plus high sulphur vegetables (onions, carrots, artichoke, asparagus, kale, and beets) helps the liver detoxify harmful chemicals.
From ”17 Top Foods For a Spring Detox" By Diana Herrington